Premier Daniel Andrews, speaking exclusively to Eddie McGuire, Luke Darcy and Wil Anderson, has unveiled the 'biggest road project ever' at the Eastern Freeway.
Premier Daniel Andrews told Triple M's Hot Breakfast the Eastern Freeway is set to be expanded to seven lanes each way and remain toll free.
"This is the biggest infrastructure project the state's ever seen," he told us. "Even bigger than the Metro Tunnel Rail Project."
He also unveiled preferred route for the North East Link.
The estimated price tag is $16 billion dollars and more than 10,000 jobs will be created in construction when work starts on in 2019.
The Premier has promised to not to sign any contracts for the road until after the next election.
THE PROJECT AT A GLANCE:
- 26km road project
- Up to 7 lanes each way on the Eastern Freeway from Springvale Road, which will remain toll free
- 10,000 construction jobs
- $16 billion estimated cost
- Construction to take about 10 years, starting in 2019.
- North East Link to start at Bulleen Road, through to Ring Road at Greensborough
- 130,000 cars using North East Link daily
- Will cut 30 mins off travel time between Springvale Road and Ring Road
- 15,000 trucks off local roads
- 8,000 cars off Rosanna Road each day
- No contracts to be signed until after 2018 State Election