A woman in the NSW Southern Highlands has been bitten several times by a male funnel-web spider whilst sleeping in her bed.
She was bitten on her arm and torso in the early hours of December 27.
"The sensation of it crawling over my leg woke me at 3am and it was at that point it struck," she told Fairfax Media.
A trip to Liverpool Hospital, several antivenoms, and days in Intensive Care followed until her condition stabilised.
She will undergo further tests to find out whether she’s suffered any long-term damage to her major organs.
"From the ambos who first treated me at home to the incredibly kind doctors and nurses at Liverpool Hospital, I'm so grateful for everyone's help," the woman told Fairfax.
”I’m truly surprised to be around to say that!"
The bite of the funnel-web spider is potentially deadly but there have been no recorded deaths since the introduction of antivenom in 1981.